Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Saying Goodbyes

"He said We all will miss you," translated the Medicine Man's Wife.
"And I will really miss you all," I reciprocated back to them in Mandarin.

"I will not miss you." The Medicine Man stated flatly. His wife laughed.

"I miss no one. I visit them in my mind. If I miss them, it only causes trouble."

...and that was my goodbye from the Medicine Man. He asked me to write, and promised to learn how to use Skype, and said we could talk about life and writing and more of Buddha's Method. And I told him I was looking forward to it all.

I'm down to about 5 days until I leave this great island of Taiwan. My last week, as well as the next few days will be filled with goodbyes like this one.

The "20-Somethings" group at the church I attend here in Taichung threw me a surprise KTV party. I knew about the KTV, but I didn't know they planned for it to be a going-away party for me. If you know me well, you know I hate surprises. At the moment where everyone jumps out and yells "SURPRISE!" (this time, Poppers were also involved), my mind races and all at once I make sense of the clues that they were planning this. Simultaneously feeling frustrated about not picking up on the clues, I'm agitated by the fact anyone would put that much effort into something for me. I eventually get over it, though, and appreciate the gesture.

The group went a bit over the top with their gifts and a card that everyone signed. The front was illustrated by my translator, Ring:

That was a week ago, and tonight is the last time I will likely see many of them. The fact of the matter is, I will miss them, whether I tell my mind to do so or not. We say things like "I'll come back to Taiwan" or "You should come visit me in America" but we really don't know for sure. As is normally the case, the wisdom in the Medicine Man's words slowly sets in and I think I'm beginning to understand what he meant. Looking forward to the States, and not knowing when I'll visit the Island again, I'm focusing on the friendships I've formed here and the good times we've shared over the past year. I will miss this place, but I won't let that feeling of loss hinder me in moving forward in what's next.


What's next, you ask? There are a few projects brewing, and I'm excited to release them. For now, I need to pack, and get myself off this Island. 9.05.09...

8 comments:

Jon and Steph said...

It's always hard to say Goodbye, but from what I've read, you've had an incredible adventure! No doubt, you'll always remember your time in Taiwan.

Now off to more exciting adventures ;)

Travel safe Chase! Looking forward to hearing about what the future holds for you ;)

Kristy said...

You will leave one adventure behind you for another . . . and then there will be new "hello's".

Safe travels - I'll be praying for your safe return.

Kristy (aka; mama w)

floreta said...

such sweet gestures. you are blessed :) and i'm sure you will find your way back there eventually.

cheers for new adventures!

littletiara said...

oh. just when I read it, you're leaving from taiwan? So will the blog changes name? =d

Yes, goodbye is always the hardest part, oh well... but then, you'll get some more new friends now! :D

Don said...

"There is a Friend that sticks closer than a brother..." the rest vary... single serving... year-long... to decades... to life-long...

Bittersweet.

My favorite character in the Bible?

"Hushai the Archite was the King's friend..."

Respect, love, friendship... facets of the same diamond.

Gotta love that Medicine Man.

Chase said...

@Steph, thanks! Yes, I am certainly looking forward to more adventures :) I'll most definitely keep you in the loop.

@MamaW, I am certainly looking forward to new hellos. :) Thanks for the prayers!

@Floreta, I am blessed indeed :)

@Tiara, Welcome! And glad you found me. Stick around : ) There will be some changes, but I'll keep writing...

@Don, gotta love your comments. There've been many friends made during this journey. Single-serving to life-long, for sure. Bittersweet, indeed.

Sheema said...

I'm glad you had such a positive experience in Taiwan, and I hope you embark on many new & exciting adventures! You never know what the future holds, you could always go back.

Sebastian Anthony said...

At the moment you are probably mid-flght! Or already landed!

Either way, don't miss them too much. For me, distance numbs me soooo much. I don't know if that's because I'm a cold-hearted bastard, or... simply 'out of sight, out of mind' is totally correct.

Sometimes I remember how long it's been since I've seen someone -- a friend -- and I'm sad.

And then I shrug my shoulders... I spare a thought for them, for the fun memories I have of/with them... and walk on.

That Medicine Man was wise!