Thursday, September 11, 2008

One Week and Still Breathing.

wow. i can't believe it's been one week already.
I feel fairly assimilated into the Taiwanese lifestyle. I'm used to seeing the same people I see everyday, and they're used to having a tall white guy around.

At least those i'm in immediate contact with day-in and day-out.

On the streets, people still turn their heads for a double-take.
sometimes they turn to say something to the people around them, and then they all look at me. Some giggle. Some children (and adults) wave, or say "hello. nice to meet you." (the used-car-sales-men are quite friendly. One day one shouted to me, from a small crowded table in the middle of the lot. "Hello Friend, where do you come from?!" I was curtious, but in my mind I thought "it's going to be a long time before i can buy a car on my budget... even at your prices, bud."

little kids that watch too many american movies will pop out from the street and say "hey, what's up?"

Others, trying not to stare, see me look at them, look away, and then watch from the corner of their eye.


It's interesting. Feeling perpetually on display. Right now, i'm as interested in them and their reaction as they are me and mine. But I have this inkling that its going to get old.



News: I just bought a laptop. Made in Taiwan (fitting?). It's an Acer, which is a big taiwanese brand. Its small (real small, like the size of a novel, small), and light, and doesn't have a cdplayer, but it cost me about half the price of even a refurbished mac... so i can't complain too much.

Now that I have a computer to call my own, I'll be writing much more. I have a few "backlogged" entries that I'm going to post. It will post under today's date, i'm sure... but I'll date them so you have a feel for when they were actually written. Catch my drift?


Hope you enjoy. Feel free to comment.
-Chase

No comments: