Friday, December 26, 2008

Nothing But Nets


As I write this, I'm sitting on my bed and under a Mosquito Net.

I've spent most of this evening waving an electric-wire tennis racket at anything that buzzed near my ear.

However, I don't have to live in the reasonable fear of Malaria. Some do.

It took me awhile to get used to sleeping under a mosquito net. It's disorienting at first. But after the first few days, the red bumps on my face began to clear up - and I knew it had nothing to do with my new face wash. I was being eaten throughout the night, and I didn't even notice!

But, that was it. The itchy, unsightly red bumps went away.

A bite from an infected insect does not disappear. Malaria induces fever, vomiting, convulsions and brain damage. Coma, and even death, are likely outcomes for untreated patients.

Worse still, Malaria is the cause of poverty in some third world societies. The spread of the disease is a fetter to all socio-economic growth.

Malaria is not a disease that can be cured, but it is a disease that can be guarded against.

Pills can be taken on a regular basis to reduce the chance of infection. Ointments and repellents can ward off insects, when applied. And get this: Mosquito Nets. Draped over a bed or a Child's play pen, a Mosquito Net can serve as a defense against the defenseless.

The United Nations Foundation is helping you be a defender of the defenseless in this battle against this awful disease. For only $10us you can purchase a Mosquito Net for someone living in this threat.

Christmas is over, but maybe you can find use for that sweater or b-rate dvd you plan on returning today for $9.99. You will never know the difference you may have made.


Post Script: The more time I spent thinking about this organization, the more I realized I couldn't not do anything. This is a group that bridges international waters, yet still strikes close to home for me. I've set a goal.

I want to change 10 lives.

10 lives
$10/net

$100.



Will you help me?

3 comments:

Simplicity said...

Thanks for the link...I'll go buy a net.

Gavin said...

count me n missus in!

Anna Lefler said...

Okay, I'm back from making good on some nets! So glad to help and great post!

Take care and Happy New Year!

XO

Anna