Thursday, December 25, 2008

Reasons I Miss the States - Christmas Morning [Merry Christmas!]


Well the clock just struck 2am (12/26).

I've spent the last four hours under the mosquito net draping my bed and in front of my laptop. Enjoying Christmas via Skype, I opened the gifts my Family had sent, and watched them open theirs.

Traditions, huh?

Not quite what I'm used to, not quite what I want to get used to... but this is a special, memorable Christmas nonetheless.


I certainly didn't miss out this time like I did during Thanksgiving. Christmas Eve was spent with my Taiwan Family. We enjoyed a full Turkey dinner: stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, fish... The works. It was great. And I think we were the only ones on the block celebrating! (Though the church down the way was still playing Kenny G on their outdoor speaker...)

It was decided, without my vote, that the American should be the one to carve the turkey. There's something about wielding a weapon of mass destruction in the palm of your hand that makes your voice drop a few octaves. It's a defining moment for every man.

"Wow! You're slicing so well! Have you done this before?"
"Nope."
"Where'd you learn how?"
"Watched my dad do it a few years in a row..."

Larry was delicious.*
(*Family joke. I meant the turkey. Don't worry about it...)

Not many people remembered it was Christmas today, though I did receive an individually-wrapped mint from a Santa-hat-clad Bus Driver on my way home from school today. I guess that was enough to forgive him for being 30 minutes late.

It's time for me to sleep. I'm surrounded in gifts and wrapping paper, and I don't care. My alarm is going off in less than 5 hours, and I have to make it to the bus so that I'm not late to my Chinese Class Field Trip to the Buddhist Temple

I hope you are all right where you want to be. And if you're not, I hope you're moving in that direction with purpose.

Merry Christmas. Enjoy your day.
-Chase
PS Though it's not the most celebrated Holiday...Taiwan did receive a Christmas Present. And from China, no less!


Here are some pictures that were snapped on Skype that are likely not supposed to see the light of day:


The Family around the Tree.


She sure does treat me nice.


Rock'n'Around the Tree


Christmas Eve Fish


Christmas Morning

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Have a Merry Christmas Chase!

Jenny Colborn said...

yay the pandas! :) merry christmas, chase.

Samantha said...

Despite the mosquito net and the malaria threat, just seeing the people you care about the most (nomatter if it's in person- or skype) sounds like a pretty decent Christmas to me. :)

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Chase!

Simplicity said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful celebration!

Our bird was Frank! :)

Anonymous said...

i just have to say, i love your panda pic ;)